Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Do You Know What You Are Getting Yourself Into?

Do you know what you are getting yourself into?

Matt Thiessen
The theme song for my trip.
I don't know how this one line got stuck in my head but it has remained for two months.


Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn




22 years of existence and all I have to show for it is a damn backpack, a bag full of everything that I don’t need. Most of it is unimportant, quite burdensome, yet I carry it mile after mile scared to leave it behind – it’s all I have. I also have this journal, full of the most monotonous days, shadowed by terrible ones, only to be followed by a single beautiful day, finally worth writing about.

4000 miles, across 7 borders, and countless road signs, bus stops, and pot holes, and for what? For an experience, or a journey? Do I dare call it a vacation? Do I do it so I have a tale to tell? But I won't tell a single story, no not a single word of what happened here. Ya, I'll send a few postcards and show them a couple of pics, but for what?

I just want go home. But when I get there, I will get sick of the blank walls and the familiar roads, then I will spend my days dreaming about leaving that place – and what my next adventure will be.

Why do I do it? Is it too hard to just be content with what I have? Why must I travel for miles and miles to see a mediocre sunset or a mountain that is hardly worth writing about, or to make another friend just to watch him walk away the next day? Another unpassionate kiss, a bland meal, on a back breaking bed with mosquitoes for sheets, and loneliness for a companion. I lie, I cheat, and I steal to make it through the day and down the road. I watch every corner and cautiously cross every street, suspect of every evil by-passer, with their empty pockets, stomachs and hearts; but they’re eyes, oh, their terrible eyes –bloodshot and full of lust.

To every corner of the earth I fear my selfish, untiring, and ruthless feet will carry me. I will never sleep. I will never stop. I will never die.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lexi said...

"I just want go home. But when I get there, I will get sick of the blank walls and the familiar roads, then I will spend my days dreaming about leaving that place – and my next adventure. "

funny how that all works out ehh? the idea of a home and family never seems so sweet as it does when you are out roaming from place to place with only yourself to count on for a while.

November 15, 2007 at 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home